Review – NYX Caribbean Collection + ELF Waterproof Eyeliner Pen
The other day, i was in town to run an errand and decided to drop by Far East Plaza after. I came across a flea event at the atrium and found that Smoochiezz was having a stall there. If you’ve never heard of them before, they are actually an online seller of mostly cosmetic and nail polish products. I’ve ordered some nail polish online from them on a previous occasion and delivery was fast. They had lots for sale at this event, and i was busy taking my time to browse and swatch. So far, i’ve had a decent experience with NYX and ELF products and i’m quite the satisfied user. So i picked up a few things which were on sale for slightly cheaper than the prices online.
Today, i will be doing a review on the NYX Caribbean Collection Eyeshadow Palette (which i bought during the flea event) and the ELF Waterproof Eyeliner Pen (which was part of my recent ELF haul from Gmarket). Accompanying these reviews will be a Face-of-the-Day as well to show you how i’ve used these products to put together a nice look for Spring.
NYX Caribbean Collection Eyeshadow Palette ( I Dream of St. Lucia)
– Priced at $11, it comes in a light, plastic black casing housing 5 eyeshadow pans.
– The casing doesn’t feel very sturdy to me. But unless you are intending to jet set around the world with it, it shouldn’t be an issue.
– It has a good selection of bright colors in one single palette which is great for creating Spring looks.
– The color payoff is more than decent, and holds well when applied on top of my Urban Decay Primer Potion.
– Hardly noticed any fall out during application which was a pleasant surprise, and the colors applied nice & smooth.
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
ELF Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Coffee
– It is easy to use, with a nice grip on the pen.
– The color is quite intense as you can see in the above picture with just a single line drawn on the back of my hand.
– However, the color is less intense when drawn on the eyelid for some reason. I need to go over it 2 or 3 times. But no biggie, cos i usually need to thicken the line when drawing anyway.
– The felt tip is slightly hard and sharp as compared to my Maybelline felt tip liner which causes no pain at all.
– And last but not least, the most important point i would like to make is that it is NOT waterproof as it claims to be. So in other words, it only fares slightly better than the KATE eyeliner i reviewed earlier. (see link)
– The only way to get around this is to dab brown eyeshadow over the line and smoke it out. That should make it wear longer.
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
And here is my ‘Face of The Day’ using mainly the following products:
– Maybelline Pure Liquid Mineral Foundation
– Bobbi Brown Illuminating Finishing Powder Foundation
– NYX Caribbean Collection Eyeshadow Palette
– ELF Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Coffee
– Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter in Peach Parfait
Using the green & orange eyeshadow colors from the palette, i applied the green all over the lid first blending it slightly above the crease. I then used a crease brush to apply the orange lightly on the outer v bringing it further out into the crease to create some dimension. After blending it all out, I also used a smudge brush to lightly sweep the green on my outer lower lash line to finish the look.
*As these pictures were taken in natural lighting without flash, the colors may not be as apparent as they are in real life.
I hope this was useful to you. Thanks for looking! 🙂